The Leadership Academy has a wonderful way for people to step up and do their part in improving Memphis. The Academy is currently searching for people to serve as mentors.
According to the Leadership Academy's website, "young people with mentors are:
· 52% less likely than peers to skip school
· 46% less likely than peers to start using drugs
· 27% less likely than peers to start drinking
· 33% less likely than peers to get into fights
Mentored youth in Shelby County:
· 73% raised goals and expectations
· 87% went to college or planned to
(Statistics provided by the Memphis Mentoring Partnership & National Mentoring Partnership, 2006)."
Now, those statistics alone should make you want to stop what you're doing and to sign up for the mentoring program right now. So, contact Douglas Scarboro, Director of Community Engagement, at 901-527-4625 ext 14 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this wonderful opportunity. When you sign up, you will be paired with one of the following organizations:
· Boys and Girls Clubs of Memphis - Make a strong connection with a child by mentoring one-on-one using the BGCM curriculum at one of their sites located throughout the city. Mentors interact for two hours a month with Boys and Girls Clubs members.
· Connect—Memphis City Schools (MCS) - Make an impact on a MCS student during the school day! Connect offers supervised one-on-one mentoring with an individual child during the school day. Mentors serve once a week for at least an hour each time.
· The Exchange Club - Assist with C.A.M.P. (Comprehensive Anger
Management Program) where children learn social skills that enable them to form and maintain healthy relationships. Mentors work with children for 1-2 hours a week for 12 weeks.
· Memphis Athletic Ministries - Ever wanted to coach where winning is not the main goal? Be a coach for a MAM basketball, golf or soccer team! Practice once a week and play on Saturday with Memphis’ future stars.
· Youth Villages - This is your opportunity to become a child’s reason to smile! Mentors meet with children two to four times a month over a six month period. Influence a child’s perspective by showing them Memphis through your eyes!